November 8, 2006

Shopping Expedition in Sarojini Market

Yesterday, I took an afternoon break from work and headed to Sarojini Market for a little shopping. I can't believe it had taken me so long to get there! Many of my friends had been raving about the bargains.

For the past 4 weeks, I've been trying to pace my shopping. I figure six months is plenty of time to find and buy all of the things I want, plus I don't want to deal with lugging my things with me every time I pack up to leave town. But now I starting to reconsider as I think weekly trips to Sarojini Market may be in order. The market has a ton of stalls filled with merchandise for western stores and labels. It was all made in India, but most of the clothing is irregular or even damaged.

To take full advantage, you have to be prepared to sort through piles and piles of clothing. There are no mirrors. You can't really try anything on - unless it's over your clothes. You have to select your sizes carefully and hope they fit when you get home. Louise recommends coming with a friend and a digital camera so you can check out the photos.

All in all, I had a successful shopping trip and returned home with 6 new shirts, 1 skirt and 1 pair of shoes! Total price? About $20! And I swear that one of the shirts I bought is the same as one I have from Ann Taylor Loft and paid at least 10 times as much for!

I can't wait for next week!

No comments: