November 21, 2006

India Checklist Progress

A few weeks ago, I posted a list of things I want to see/do/experience while in India. I'm making good progress so far and here are a few updates.

    #1 – Go to an Indian Wedding: I’m planning to go to my first Indian wedding this Sunday! It’s a little random, but I met a man at my guest house a few weeks ago who’s in town to get married. He’s American and of Indian descent, and his fiancĂ©e is from Delhi, but has spent the past several years in New York – going to school and working. The day I met him, he extended an invitation to the wedding, which I didn’t take too seriously. But over the course of the past few weeks, he’s brought it up every other time we’ve talked. So, I will be going and I’ve convinced Ani to come with me and help me sort out a gift. And if all goes well, I will be wearing a sari! Good photos are sure to follow.

    #3 – Travel to Goa: I’m going to Goa in a week and half! Louise and I made plans to go there with Melissa (a fellow Hoya who we had drinks with a few weeks ago) and several of her friends. It’s sure to be a good time and it’ll be nice to relax on the beach and away from the hustle and bustle of Delhi.

    #5 – Learn Basic Hindi: To date I’ve had 4 Hindi lessons with Lola, a wonderful instructor recommended by Elodie. Learning a new language is always tricky, but it's even harder when the characters are completely different! In any case, I’m making some progress, but need to really commit to learning (re: I need to practice more).

    Still no significant progress on #2 (Get henna on my hands), #4 (Ride on a cool animal), #6 (Visit the orphanage in Amritsar again) and #7 (Travel to Kerala), but I still have time.

    No comments: