November 25, 2006

Sari Shopping

On Saturday afternoon I went to Khan Market to meet up with Shawn and Kevin. It was here that I decided to buy a sari for the wedding I am attending tomorrow. I wasn't really looked forward to this experience, but fortunately Kevin was. We stopped into a small botique shop and not one of the huge sari emporiums that I've heard of. As I quickly learned, a sari is actually composed of three parts - the sari itself, the blouse, and the petticoat, in which the sari material is tucked.

The staff at Atelier was extremely attentive and helpful. The first sari I tried on (in the photo) was quite nice, but then I saw the price tag - 37,000 rupees! Since that's about $750, I immediately told them that it was WAY out of my price range. They were more than accommodating and began to pick out saris that were much more affordable. I settled on an orange one, with an embroidered trim. They took about a gizillon measurements of me and I was on my way. If all goes well, it will be ready at 2pm. This should give me plenty of time to pick it up, learn how to wrap a sari, and then get ready for the wedding at 6pm!

No comments: