November 1, 2006

An Indian Halloween

Who says they don't celebrate Halloween in India? Certainly not me since I went to one of the best Halloween parties ever last night.



Louise, Lauren, Nic and I went as paranoid tourists. We were a bit limited in our costumes because as we went to buy supplies on Monday, we discovered that just about every store in Delhi was closed because of a 3 day strike. As a result, we had to rely on the clothes we had. We donned our t-shirts, shorts, running shoes and hats. Louise loaded her belt with disinfectant, bug spray and her Lonely Planet guide, while Lauren used her bug spray as perfume and gave herself a nice sunburn. Nic worn his pants as high as humanly possible and a camera was permanently around his neck.

While we thought our costumes were funny, they paled in comparison to the others. There was a no costume, no entry rule that was strictly enforced. This ensured that everyone there was wearing some type of costume - most of them quite lavish. The party setting was unlike any I've seen. The terrace was completely decorated and included a graveyard, ghosts in trees and creepy music playing in the background. And no - my pictures above aren't fuzzy. That's just the fog from the fog machine, something that every good Halloween party needs.

I found later on that most of the Indians in attendance didn't even know what Halloween was before the party. But you would never know that my the thought that went into their costumes. I guess that's just the result of the no costume, no entry rule. And it definitely worked.

No comments: