November 29, 2006

Delhi’s Winter Chill

The winter chill has set in here in Delhi. I must confess my ignorance and admit that I had no idea it could get this cold here. Already the temperature has dropped to 5 degrees Celsius (about 41 degrees) at night. And because most buildings, including my bedroom, are not well-insulated, you feel the cold even more.

When I first arrived, many people told me that winters in Delhi could be quite cold. My thought was, "How bad can it be? It's not like it snows here!" Well, highs in the 70s and lows in the 40s isn't THAT cold, but it is very cold when your wardrobe only includes one sweatshirt and two sweaters! I have a stack of scarves that I have acquired since I arrived that are helping out a bit, but they just don't cut it.

My remedy for the cold? First, I'm heading to Goa this weekend to soak up the warm sunshine and 90 degree weather. Then, I'm going home to exchange my tank tops and strappy sandals for a few sweaters, closed-toes shoes and maybe even a coat!

No comments: