April 5, 2007

Scheming

Scheme. This is one of my favorite terms I've come across in India. Merriam-Webster's Dictionary defines a scheme as "a plan or program of action; especially : a crafty or secret one." In the US, a scheme has a negative connotation and we usually think of the "crafty or secret" ones or pyramid schemes.

But in India, a scheme is simply just "a plan or program of action," so I come across schemes all the time. When I buy talktime for my prepaid mobile phone, I have to choose a scheme (or promotion). The government sponsors all sorts of schemes for education and health care initiatives.

Even though I understand how the word is being used, I can't help but grin when I get to pick from one of the latest schemes.

1 comment:

theusual said...

I too enjoy the word scheme and it's use in India. The other one that got me was cum ie.) Sleeper bus cum air conditioning ;)

Took me months to figure that one out ;)