April 10, 2007

Holy Cow

I get a lot of questions about cows in India, so I figured it was about time to write about them. Plus, I have a great photo to share.

In Hinduism, which is followed by nearly 80% of Indians, cows are viewed as sacred animals because they provide milk and are seen as matriarchal figures. But they are not worshipped. In any case, most Hindus do not eat beef and many do not consume meat at all, and some are lacto vegetarians and do not consume any milk-based products.

So yes, I often see random cows roaming the streets throughout the country, even in my neighborhood. It doesn't really phase me anymore. But when Jen and Mike were here, we saw a cow laying in the middle of the road tying up traffic. That I don't see every day.

And yes, to answer the question asked by many (including myself), the random cows have owners.

So, today I stepped onto my balcony in the afternoon and saw this random cow hanging out in the alley across the street!

No comments: