April 13, 2007

Fear of the Police Part 2

The Delhi Police are also working to enforce laws about residential vs. commercial zoned areas. All over town there are shops and restaurants operating in areas that are supposed to be residential-only. Months ago the Supreme Court ordered the police to close down such establishments, but enforcement has been slow, thanks to significant protests by traders associations.

But the Supreme Court yelled at the Delhi Police this week for their inaction and they are working to "seal" these places again. I just got to witness some of the actions first hand. I was in my local market and saw a huge mass of people gathered. Turns out the police were there to close legal shops and push back legal shops that had expanded their businesses to the sidewalks and areas in front of their stores.

I also noticed that all of the newspaper, tobacco and PCO stalls were closed. I saw people scurrying around closing gates and removing signs. My guess is that all of these shops are not legally operating and their fears got the best of them.

Despite all of the fear and commotion today, I bet that tomorrow, life and business will be back to normal. Until the Delhi Police come through again...

No comments: