April 25, 2007

Incredible India

Incredible India. The Ministry of Tourism's catchy slogan (with accompanying theme song) perfectly sums up my thoughts of India.

I've just left after being lucky enough to live and work here for just over 6 months. I definitely didn't want it to end. I loved the work, the experiences, and the people I met. I loved the cultural differences I encountered everyday. I loved the challenge the living in a world where I couldn't always be understood.

Plus, I hate goodbyes. Fortunately, this one was considerably easier than most I have dealt with in the past. First, I only had to say goodbye to Ani for a week since he arrives in Washington next Thursday for his month-long visit to the US. Second, I only had to say goodbye to my friends for a few months, since I plan to return by September. And third, I said goodbye to the work, but I know my colleagues will keep me updated on our projects by email and I may even check in on them when I return.


Here are a few of my favorite things about India:
  1. As crazy and chaotic as many things are, things still manage to function. Somehow.
  2. Family is the center of Indian life and the most important thing - above work, friends, and everything else.
  3. Eating with your hands is not a bad thing.

As much as I love India, there are still a few things I could never get used to:

  1. Women are revered and respected, yet are still not regarded as equal to men.
  2. Infidelity is rampant and this is often attributed to arranged marriages. But why boast that the divorce rate is so low if it also means the amount of cheating is so high.
  3. Toilet paper is not readily available. Many Indians prefer to use some water and a hand.

And India has also taught me a thing or two about life back home:

  1. Central Air Conditioning is a wonderful thing. I left India just as the weather was hitting 105+ F on a regular basis and I'm sort of happy that I will be missing the scorching, dry summer in Delhi.
  2. The racial, cultural, religious diversity in the US is an amazing thing and something most Americans take for granted. I know I did. It's so ingrained, that I don't usually even notice it.
  3. India isn't so far away, thanks to email, cell phones, and friends that are willing to travel to the other side of the world!

In the end, I found that India was truly incredible and I'm looking forward to returning and continuing the adventure.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Congratulations on an amazing adventure that is just on pause, not coming to a close.

Safe travels home and see you this weekend!