April 13, 2007

Maybe I'm Jinxed?

So today is my last day on my ADP project working with the GSM Association. I've spent the week writing lots of documentation, discussing future plans for my projects and saying goodbye to the colleagues I've worked with over the past 6 months.

Despite all of my efforts, the futures of the 3 projects I've worked on are all questionable because I'm not the only person moving on. During the past 3 weeks, well mainly this week only, I've learned that my key contact within each company are leaving their current position or the company all together. While I've known that the success of most projects is dependent on the people that are involved, this has been re-confirmed 10 times over in India. And consistency is key.

At Partner #1, the executive sponsor left the company last week and a new guy has come in. This could be a positive change in the end, but right now, the new guy's commitment to our project is up in the air.

At Partner #2, the executive sponsor is moving to a new position within the same company. This guy has been very energetic and supportive of our work and there's a lot of concern that the momentum will be lost without him.

At Partner #3, the marketing director I've worked with is leaving the company for a competitor. To make matters worse, I handed over this project to an Accenture colleague a month ago, but this week she announced that she was leaving the ADP program and India immediately. So now she's gone and the marketing director is on his way out, leaving me to pick up the pieces (while I am on vacation)!

I'm trying not to take this personally and I keep reminding myself that the Indian job market, and particularly the wireless industry, are very competitive and people are constantly jumping from one company to another. But I can't help but wonder if I've done something wrong.

No comments: