April 13, 2007

Kerala-Bound

I'm off to Kerala, in the south of India, for my final trip in India, this time around. People have warned me that it can be oppressively hot and humid there, but I don't care. It's also supposed to be green and lush, quite a contrast to the dust and dirt of Delhi.

Plus, it's 106 F/41 C in Delhi today! How much worse can it get? It's only supposed to be 91 F/33 C in Kochi, so I am looking forward to the relatively cooler weather.

Kerala is a small state on the Arabian Sea and it's often referred to as "God's Own Country." It has lush greenery, tea plantations, better beaches than Goa, and amazing cliffs on the edge of the sea. At least that's what I've heard. It's also one of the best Indian states, in terms of life expectancy, literacy, infant mortality and gender equality. And surprisingly, Kerala has one of the world's only democratically-elected communist governments.

Here's an interesting National Geographic article on Kerala.

So, I'm off to the airport soon and will be MIA on my blog for the next week. Hope the weather is warming up back home. If you get sick of the chill, just think of me in the sweltering heat of India!

No comments: