February 28, 2007

U.I.P.

Urination in Public. Sorry to write about such a crass topic, but this is such a common occurrence in Delhi, I can't not comment on it.

As most Americans know,this is an offense in many U.S. states and cities. One of my friends at Georgetown learned this the hard way. In any case, it can get you arrested and therefore, if it is done, it is done with a bit of discretion. This is not the case in India.

As anyone who has visited the country will tell you, this is a very common occurrence. For instance, during my short ride to the office, I can usually count at least 5 men on the side of the road relieving themselves. Of course, as the length of my trip increases, so does the number of men I see engaged in such activity. I've even had taxi drivers and rickshaw drivers stop their vehicles on the side of the road so they could relieve themselves - while I was waiting!

Several months ago, one of the local papers featured a several page article on this problem that is plaguing Delhi and most other Indian cities. Despite the construction of public conveniences (restrooms) in most markets and on busy streets, men still continue to use the streets and alleyways. Unfortunately, these public conveniences charge a nominal fee of Rs 1-2, therefore people think "why should I pay to use this restroom, when I can just use the alley around the corner for free." And so, the problem prevails despite all of the efforts to end it.

Just the other day, I saw a sign in my neighborhood that read "No person shall urinate here." I can't believe a sign like this is even necessary and I have no idea if it even works. But, I appreciate the fact that someone else has recognized the problem and wants to do something about it. And maybe it's deterred just one person from using the street as his toilet...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You really should post a picture of that sign...sounds priceless!

So, no urinating in public for me when I come to visit? :)