February 2, 2007

It's Wedding Season

Late January is the start of wedding season India. It’s apparently an auspicious time of year and therefore a good time to get married. Driving through the city at night, I pass many wedding sites. They are even to identify by the glaring lights and colorful decorations. And even when I’m not out in the evening, I can hear wedding celebrations going on. I often hear music and fireworks filling the air and I know immediately that it’s another family gathered to celebrate a marriage.

The wedding I attended back in December was small by Indian standards, as there were probably between 150 and 200 people there. I’ve heard that many wedding have 800 to 1,000 guests! I can’t imagine that many people attending a wedding, but apparently it happens all of the time. Not only are the family and friends of the bride and groom invited, but so are friends of the family members and even friends’ friends. Twice in the past week, I had a friend attend the wedding of a co-worker’s brother. Everyone is truly invited.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

are the random american friends-of-friends invited as well?? i'll even bring a yellow-haired ghost as a gift...

Unknown said...

you should've come to my wedding - we had 800 people attend the wedding ceremony and about 350 attend the reception :)