February 25, 2007

Language Lessons of a Different Sort

I'm still trying to learn Hindi, but tonight I was actually on the other side of a language lesson. The other day, my maid's younger sister, Bina, asked if I would help her study English. Of course, I said yes. I figured, I speak English, how hard could it be? I obviously have no experience in teaching foreign languages, and this will be compounded by the fact that I don't even speak Hindi. But it should also be a lot of fun and I'm happy to help Bina in any way I can.

In any case, it was very informal and we spent about 30 minutes reading through conversations in her English book. She wants to come every evening. I don't know if I can handle this level of commitment, but I said 4-5 times a week would be fine with me.

Bina's a sweet girl and I'm very impressed by her commitment to learn and practice the language. She even told me tonight that I can't speak Hindi to her during these sessions. But I want practice too! And the cutest part, she calls me didi, which is Hindi for teacher. We're meeting again tomorrow evening, so we'll see how my teaching skills progress...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey hi !
i saw ur blog on net. i m an indian girl ,studying in france.
I felt so happy to see international people in india.
I am curious to know which city are you in ? and where are you from ?
what are you studying ? and are there many foreign students / working in india ? How can i contact them ?
Dhanyavaad !
swati (swatee82@hotmail.com)

Laura said...

dude, your the best!! Start with sounds.