January 2, 2007

Merry Christmas from Bollywood


Belated Christmas greetings from India. I’ve been offline for the past several days and have been unable to post anything on my blog. Fortunately, I have a host of stories to share from my travels, so stayed tuned.

On Christmas Day I went to see the Indian film Dhoom: 2. Not only is it the biggest movie in the country right now, it also has the hottest soundtrack. People are excited about the film because it’s the first big Indian action movie. Complete with death-defying, unrealistic stunts, it is Bollywood’s answer to our Mission Impossible and Bond movies.

But not only does it have action, but it has singing and dancing! I was incredibly disappointed to learn that these stars do not actually sing their songs. Instead, the tunes are provided courtesy of playback stars and this itself is a huge industry here. But I do have to credit the Bollywood stars with their dance ability. It’s hard for me to imagine Brad Pitt or Tom Cruise breaking into an elaborate dance routine ever.

No comments: