January 21, 2007

Delhi Sightseeing

This afternoon, I decided to get off my bum and do some sightseeing in Delhi. Over the past 3 months, I've gotten so settled into life here that I haven't made much of an effort to see the sights. So, Sunday afternoon, I met up with Lauren and we headed out to explore the Red Fort and then to Humayun's Tomb.

The Red Fort is just across from Chandni Chowk, the bustling shopping bazaar in Old Delhi. Construction of the Mughal fort was completed in 1648. It's a huge symbol of independence and pride for India. Each Independence Day (August 15), the Prime Minister addresses crowds gathered on the lawn of the Red Fort. All and all, it was a nice visit and I'm glad I took the time to do it. But the crowds were large and slightly overwhelming, so I was happy to head out.









After getting our fill of the fort and stopping to do a little shopping at the bazaar inside, we headed to Humayun's Tomb back in New Delhi. It was built in the mid-16th century by the wife of Humayun, the second Mughal emperor. Humayun's Tomb could easy become one of my favorite places in the city to visit. It was incredibly peaceful and quiet and I was amazed at the amount of green space in such a crowded city.








No comments: