January 13, 2007

The Joys of Cable TV

For the past few weeks, I’ve been suffering from cable TV withdrawal. I don’t really watch that much TV here, but it’s so nice to flip it on and watch an episode of Friends every now and then. Or watch CNN. Or anything in English. But since January 1st, I’ve only been able to view a couple of free-to-air channels, which were all in Hindi, except for the Hallmark Channel. And there are so many Hallmark movies one can watch (none).

A new mandate went into affect the first of the year that requires the installation of cable boxes and most regular cable channels were dark. Like most things in India, the installation of my cable box took awhile. But on yesterday, I was rescued. My cable box by was installed. Now I can watch endless episodes of Friends, Seinfeld, ER, and Will & Grace.

Oh, and I have digital cable. Apparently this isn’t as common as it is at home, because my landlord gave me a 10 minute lesson on how to operate the TV, the remote and the cable box. Not exactly rocket science, but I guess it is to him.

No comments: