January 24, 2007

Damn Switches!

I've had the hardest time with the switches here because THEY ARE BACKWARDS! You flip the switch up to turn things OFF and down to turn them ON - just the opposite of switches back in the U.S. And to complicate things even more, all electrical outlets have switches. So, not only do you have the plug the cord into the socket, you also have to take an extra step and flip the switch on (down). Even after nearly 4 months here, I still forget this critical step. This has resulted in numerous uncharged cell phone and laptop batteries and even a few cold water showers. (Yes, you also have to turn the hot water heater on)!

Maybe by the time I leave India, I will have this process mastered...Just in time for my return to the U.S. where switches work properly, a land where up is ON and down is OFF.

2 comments:

Lou said...

ha ha. Well I'm in Chicago at the moment and was just thinking how all of the switches here are backwards! Plus, I couldn't find the bathroom light switch which I finally realised was INSIDE the bathroom.

Can't believe about Bollywood's hottest couple! Oh the excitement.

Traveling Hoya said...

Oh yes, as Louise mentioned, switches are usually OUTSIDE the bathroom in every country but the US. Imagine the hours of endless fun younger brothers and sisters!