February 12, 2008

More on the Tata Nano

There are a lot of jokes about how the Nano will actually do on the market once it's released in October. Indians are INCREDIBLY brand and image conscious and people often joke that they would never buy the car because people would know they only spent $2,500 on it.

In fact, used cars (or should I say pre-owned cars), don't do that well here because someone else owned them first. In general, people would rather own a new, lower model car than a used, higher model car. Maybe this notion will help the Nano afterall.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Are you laying the groundwork for you and Ani to get a Nano? Is it even safe?

Traveling Hoya said...

The Nano is actually VERY safe. It meets both Indian and global standards for safety and emissions.

And no, I will not be in a Nano any time soon. I have my sights set on a Maruti Swift or a Honda City, but it will be a few months before that happens.

I'm just writing about it, because it's a big deal here and I talk about it every day because of work.