September 24, 2007

Wickets and Idols

Life in India really isn't all that different from life back at home.

Yesterday, two stories dominated the news: Sports (India's advancement to the finals of the Twenty20 Cricket World Cup) and Entertainment (the grand finale of Indian Idol).

Tonight India takes on its political rival, Pakistan, in the Twenty20 finals and it's all anyone can talk about it. It will be the first-ever final between these two nations and a very emotional ones (for the right or wrong reasons). Since I've learned more about cricket during my time in India than I ever thought imaginable, I'll probably be in front of the TV, just like everyone else here, cheering for India this evening.

And last night, a young man from Darjeeling won the hearts of India and was crowned the newest Indian Idol. The finale was much like those in the US, with minimal singing from the contestants, appearances from random artists and even the same theme song. It was the third installment here of the world-wide phenomenon where, I read in the paper today, 70 million votes were cast.

If it weren't for the heat, dust, power outages and water shortages, I might forget where I was.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yay! Contrants to Prashant from Darjeeling, although I wanted Amit Paul to win :(

Hope all is well Chanda.
-Mohini