September 19, 2007

Settling In...Again

Today is my 4th day in Delhi and it's nice to be back. In this time I've gotten settled into my apartment, met Ani's entire family and started my job. This evening I'll be reconnecting with a few friends at one of my favorite restaurants. And tomorrow I will be playing host to some Accenture/ADP colleagues that are in town for a few days at another favorite restaurant.

I've had to readjust to several things, including the heat (100 degree days), the dust (there's a lot of it), power cuts (frequent but short), walking/passing on the left and not the right (I've had a few near-collisions in the hallway), and an overappreciation of lunch and chai breaks.

Yesterday I called the Foreigner's Regional Registration Officer with whom I have to register within 14 days of my arrival in India. I called from my office around 1:45pm and I was told that it was lunch time I should call back after 2:30. Thanks. And of course, when I called back, no one answered. Well, someone answered once, but hung up before I could say anything.

I've also had to readjust to the notion of service here. Basically, I don't have to do anything myself. I have someone to drive, cook, and clean for me. In the Accenture office, I don't even have to make my own copies. There's someone to do that for me too. There's someone to stir my coffee for me too. Weird, but I swear it's true.

Now, if only there was someone to go to work for me...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You have some one to stir your coffee? That's just ridiculous...