January 15, 2008

A Welcomed Change to Shopping in Delhi

I'm sad to admit it, but I was so excited when I recently visited a newly opened mall in Delhi. There's one mall near my house that was the first one in Delhi, and it looks like it. It's old, crowded and not that exciting. Most other malls are out in the suburbs, so I've never visited them. But thanks to Delhi's emerging middle class and booming development, new malls are popping up across the city.

CityWalk mall in Saket is amazing! My excitement started when we pulled into the garage, or rather, we tried to pull into the garage and had to wait in line to get an electronic ticket. Ani was immediately annoyed and ranted that it was a mistake to come because it was too much of a hassle. A hassle because you have to wait in line and park in an orderly fashion, I asked?

Once I stepped into the mall, I was even more excited. It was huge, clean and filled with nice stores. Levi's, Nike, Calvin Klein, Clinique, Bennetton, Guess, Puma and many others. To our surprised, we stayed in the mall for quite some time and even ate dinner at one of the new restaurants. On several occasions, I actually forgot where I was.

More than anything else, it's really nice to be able to go to one place and do all of your shopping. Normally, you visit one store in a particular market and then travel to another store in another market for something else. While Ani may not be looking forward to our next visit, I certainly am.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Add that to my itinerary for India 2. Sounds like a welcome respite from all that chaos.