January 2, 2008

A Postal Adventure

I went to an Indian post office for the first time on Monday...There's a post office right in my market and I walk by it almost daily. But I haven't never really had a reason to go. I usually mail things from the office or give them to Ani. But I had a stack of late Christmas cards in my apartment and I was anxious to finally get them in the mail.

The post office wasn't that bad, but it definitely was a little confusing. After waiting for the woman at the counter to acknowledge me, I asked for stamps to send 14 cards to the US. After tearing off the right amount of stamps and inaccurately totaling the cost, she handed over several strips of stamps to me.

I found a little side table in the post office and started to apply the stamps to each envelope. After licking the first stamp, I noticed that it wasn't actually sticking to the envelope. And then I realized that there's not glue on the stamps. Fortunately, I noticed the bowl of "glue" also sitting on the table and I realized that I was supposed to apply this to the stamps (with my fingers?). In any case, I got the job done and made a bit of a mess on the envelopes.

Now, I'm just crossing my fingers that the stamps will stay in their places and that my belated Christmas cards will arrive in a few weeks.

The no-glue discovery also helps me understand why there is no glue on envelopes here either. As a result all of my Christmas cards are taped closed - sorry.

So even though it's been over a year since I first arrived in India, almost every day offers new challenges and things I just don't understand. My next adventure...a visit to my local bank. Wish me luck.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That's hysterical. My cards that I bought from India also have no glue on them, but no glue on stamps? Amazing...

Anonymous said...

The glue worked. I got your note yesterday :)