October 31, 2007

Henna Time

On Sunday night I was finally able to check off one of the remaining items from my original India Checklist - Henna!

Monday was the Hindu festival, Karva Chauth, which is celebrated mainly in the north of India. On this day, married women fast for the long life of their husbands. The ritual is supposed to signify the woman's extreme love and devotion to her husband.

While it sounds very one-sided, husbands also give their wives a nice gift (jewelry) after the fast is broken - which is after the moon (or chand) is seen.

On Sunday evening, Ani and I went to dinner with all of his siblings, their spouses and their children to celebrate the 9th wedding anniversary of one of his sisters and her husband. After dinner we all went to a local market where the women got henna in preparation for the festival the next day. I didn't actually participate in the festival (nor did I receive any jewelry), but it was a great occasion to finally get henna.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Pretty cool...one more thing of the checklist. I want to see pics of your place, too. I can't see much from this shot, but want to see the new furniture, appliances, etc. :)

Anonymous said...

Love the Henna - glad you could check something else off your list. Hopefully as is going well with your parents visiting.

Courtney

Traveling Hoya said...

Yes, the apartment is coming together nicely - but rather slowly. I have new tables in the living room, and hopefully I will have a dining room table soon. In the kitchen, I have all sorts of new toys, including a toaster oven, a juicer/blender and new pots and pans. In my bedroom I have a shoe closet and hope to get a dresser and mirror too. I'll takes some photos of the rooms and will post them for all to see.

Unknown said...

Thanks :)