December 14, 2006

Language Lessons

When I came to India, I expected to pick up a few words of the local language, and I’ve done this thanks to rickshaw drivers and my weekly Hindi lessons. But I didn’t expect to learn new English words, or rather new uses for English words that I already knew. Because I work with and interact with so many people from the Commonwealth, I’ve picked up many new words and phrases based on the Queen’s English and their local variations of it.

Here are just a few of the new words and definitions I've encountered. I've listed my current definitions of them (with the help of Merriam-Webster), along with the “new” definitions and example of how they are use.

Keen: Acute or sharp
New definition: Interested
New use: "Are you keen to go to the party tomorrow?" "Yes, I am quite keen."


Robot: A machine that can perform human tasks
New definition: A traffic light
New use: "This is the longest robot ever!" (This is of particular importance when you are waiting at a long robot and being harassed by beggars).

Digs: The act of digging, turning up soil (v.)
New definition: Apartment or flat (n.)
New use: "You should come and visit me and my digsmate at our new digs."

Jersey: A top worn by an athletic team.
New definition: A top made of wool, worn by anyone.
New use: "Chanda, I really like your new jersey."

Tracksuit: Another top worn by an athletic team, particularly when they are warming up.
New definition: A sweatshirt, worn by anyone.

New use: "Hey, can I borrow your tracksuit? It's quite cold outside."

Mission: Specific task or assignment (n.)
New definition: To hurry or rush (v.)
New use: "Since we were running late, we had to mission to the train station to avoid missing our train."

And there are a few other words that I had heard before, but never really used, such as revert and loo (bathroom). And I use the word quite way more often than I ever have before. Just take a look at my examples above for proof.

It really amazes me that the same language is spoken throughout the world, but has so many variations. And now when I come back to the U.S. and start using these words and phrases, you will know what I am talking about. This should prevent the blank stares that I have been giving in return when I don't understand. Unfortunately for Louise (who is from South Africa) has often been on the receiving end of my blank stares. But now that I have (most) of her lingo down, we can converse just fine.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was keen to read your latest blog, but I had to mission to the loo...

joey