December 7, 2006

Back Home

I've been back home for less than 24 hours and I'm amazed at the contrast between urban Delhi and suburban Washington, DC. Here are a few of the highlights for me so far:

- Driving my own car and going where I want to go, when I want to go. No need for a rickshaw.
- Eating prime rib for dinner last night.
- Seeing Christmas decorations.
- Not constantly hearing car horns. I don't think I have heard one since I have been back.
- Leaving voicemails. This concept is unheard of in India.

At the same time, there are things I miss about India. Things are expensive here. $3 for a coffee? On my 50% salary, I'm going to have to watch my spending over the next few days. And of course, the people. I've met some great folks during my time there. For instance, Louise! I'm missing her last week in India. Fortunately, I will return just in time to see her off and to attend Delhi's Biggest Bash (Maybe Nic and Louise's answer to the Christmas Extravaganza?).

So while, it's nice to be back home, Delhi has been my home for the past two months and I'm looking forward to getting back.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome home!!

-joey

Traveling Hoya said...

Thanks! Looking forward to seeing you on Saturday night!