September 29, 2008

A much needed break

I've been working too much lately, including just about the whole weekend, and now I'm ready for a break...or two.

My dear husband has the next 4 weeks off work, thanks to a little Railways athletic competition. Yes, I'm serious. He has 4 weeks off to "train" and then 3 days for the actual event. In any case, we thought we would take advantage of this to enjoy a weekend away and I was planning to take Friday off so we could have a long weekend.

Then I realized that Thursday is a national holiday (it's Gandhi's birthday). So now I'm elated that we will have 4 days to explore another corner of India! After some consideration, we've decided on Jodhpur and Jaisalmer in Rajasthan. Both places have been on my "to do" list, but Jaisalmer isn't the most accessible place, so it takes some planning - and a willingness to travel by train. So, I'm sucking it up and this Wednesday night we will head to Jodhpur by overnight train. After spending the day there, we will move onward to Jaisalmer by yet another overnight train.

I'm hopeful that both will be worth the long train journey. We'll have over two full days to experience Jaisalmer and hopefully this will include a little camel safari. I'm not sure what they actually mean by safari, but I'm up for anything.

The only part I'm dreading is the much longer overnight train trip back that will have us back in Delhi just for me to show up in the office after lunch. I'm sure that will be a looonnng day. In any case, I would happily trade long days in the office for long train travel across Rajasthan.

All of this excitement will be followed by Laura's first visit to India in less than two weeks! She arrives the night of the 11th, and the following day we are off to Kerala for a few days! While I've been to Kerala before, it is one of my favorite places I've seen in India, so I am more than happy to go back.

Stay tuned for photos and stories from the upcoming adventures!

No comments: