September 21, 2008

Don't-Do-It-Yourself

The Do-It-Yourself culture is just about non-existent in India because you can always hire someone else to do it for you, and that's even at a nominal price. After some initial hesitation, I've come to except this and I now ask others to do basic tasks for me.

I don't even have to go to the market on weekends. Instead, I can call my local store and have everything delivered to my door. Even the trash collectors come to our door every weekend (and during the weekend my maid takes away the trash so I don't even have to think about it). Today, we took a test drive of a car, and the dealer came right to our door. We didn't even have to set foot in the dealership.
Vegetable Seller

Trash Collection


Another example is paperwork. Indian society still relies on a tremendous amount of paperwork to do anything: open a bank account, sign up for a phone connection, etc. Despite the paper inconvenience, it's not that big of a hassle, because they will send someone to your home or office to collect everything for you. I've done this when opening bank accounts, applying for credit cards, setting up a new phone and internet connection.

Over the weekend we even had some photos framed from a nearby store. On Sunday evening, two guys from the shop came to our house and hung everything on the walls. We even had them hang a few other things we had been sitting around. I suppose I would have done it myself, but I don't even have a hammer and nails. Nor do I know where to buy them. And I imagine that people would stare at me like I was crazy if I tried. Why would I need a hammer?

I just hope all of this full-service doesn't get to me and make me into a lazy human being once we are back in the US.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I see your "Princess" ways have settled into India. :)

Traveling Hoya said...

I have to! Once I dropped a glass in the kitchen while our maid was there doing the dishes. I started to pick up the pieces, but both she and Ani yelled at me and said she would do it.

You really have to or people will ask why you are doing the ironing, washing the dishes, sweeping the floors.

And I like to think of it as giving people employment..

Brooke said...

Doha is like this too! When you need your car serviced, for example, why drive the 30 min out to Industrial City yourself? Pay Ashraf to do it for you!!