February 4, 2010

Exploring the streets of Singapore

I wanted to share a few more sights from Singapore. Our few days there were like a world tour. We spent time in Little India and Chinatown, which was complemented by drinks at the colonial Raffles Hotel. We skipped many of the usual sights like the zoo, the night safari and Sentosa. Instead, we spent most of our time walking around the different neighborhoods, enjoying the food and exploring the malls.

Little India - Almost like the real thing

Chinatown

Raffles Long Bar - Home of the Singapore Sling

In front of the Merlion Statue


Atop the Singapore Flyer

We were also there for Christmas and got to enjoy the festive lights and holiday decorations, along with the frenzied crowds doing their last minute shopping.



Finally, there were a few things about Singapore that I just loved, all dealing with a woman's place in society. First, I thought it was refreshing to see women wearing shorts. Personally, I haven't worn a pair since moving to India and I only see the occasional tourist wearing them. I will admit that even I think, "What is she thinking?" when I see it. Second, we saw many female bus drivers. Again, not a big deal, but definitely something you never see in India. And maybe my favorite was the visibly pregnant host at the restaurant in the Marriott. Again, working pregnant women are not a sight you see often enough in India.

I realize that these comments will only be appreciated by a few (and most notably, Brooke) but I think they are worth sharing anyway.

So, I guess that wraps up Singapore. I still have to write a few posts on Bali, as well as my upcoming adventures to Sydney and Hong Kong.

No comments: