March 4, 2008

I Love Old Delhi

We've made several trip to Old Delhi recently for wedding-related purchases and every time I kick myself for not bringing along my camera. Yesterdaty, I finally remembered.

I can't imagine living in Old Delhi, but it's an exciting place to visit...for a few hours at a time. I always think of Old Delhi as quintessial Delhi. This is more of what I imagined when I first arrived. Instead I was greeted by 5-star hotels, modern infrastructure (at least for large MNCs), and wide avenues in Central Delhi.

Old Delhi is the complete opposite. It's known for its markets, the Paper Market (source of the wedding invitations), the Book Market, the Spare Parts Market (my favorite) and many others. It's also known for the variety and quality of street food, or chaat. Dahi bhalla, samosas, tikki and of course paan and chai are readily available. Ani and I skipped the street food and instead had a wonderful lunch at Karim's, probably the most famous restaurant in Old Delhi and maybe even all of Delhi.

A traffic jam with no cars!

The other end of the traffic jam - we got off the cycle rickshaw and walked
f
A street shave

Samosas

Paan - a tobacco-like leaf stuffed with something that everyone here loves. You'll see lots of red stains on the streets from people's spit. Nice, huh?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Are you a fan of Paan? I love it (w/o tobacco, of course!) I prefer the sweet paan. :)

-Mohini